- “No man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light. The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness. Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness. If thy whole body therefore be full of light, having no part dark, the whole shall be full of light, as when the bright shining of a candle doth give thee light.”
—Luke 11:33–36 KJV
- “when he hath lighted a candle” — When God lights your candle, it means that your spirit has received a revelation from God (Prov. 20:27 KJV), e.g. a revelation about God’s grace and His promises of healing and provision. When God lights us up with a revelation, He intends for us to shine as a testimony for Him.
- “Bushel” — In Jesus’ time, a bushel was often used as a system of measurement in commerce. So the bushel is a picture of commerce or business. This verse is telling us not to hide our light under a bushel—don’t be so caught up in commerce/business for the pursuit of wealth until it constantly stresses you out, causes you to lose time with your loved ones, and hinders you from coming to church. When our priorities are only about making money, our light diminishes like athis candle under a bushel. Our light cannot be seen—others will not see us as testimonies for the Lord when we are slaving away, depending on the ways of the world and our own intellect, trying to earn more money. When God gives us prosperity or good success (Josh. 1:8), we will have time for our family, time to reach out to our colleagues, time to share the gospel, and time for church!
- “secret place (‘cryptos’)” — The root word for “secret place” is “cryptos,” which is the same root word for cryptocurrency. God cares for us and does not want us to be taken over/overwhelmed by it, chase after it, or depend on it as our source of supply.
- “when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it . . . on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light” — A candlestick is a picture of the church in the book of Revelation. When God gives us a revelation (of His grace and His promises of healing and provision), He wants to make us a testimony by planting us in church! God puts us in church so that those who see God’s light through us will come to church and encounter Jesus. We shine the brightest and have the greatest influence when we are planted in church.
- “thy whole body also is full of light” — As mentioned earlier, this refers to health. Every time we gather in church to worship the Lord, He prolongs our days (Prov. 10:27) and keeps us healthy and strong!
- “But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.”
—Matthew 6:33 NKJV
- While we all desire to be provided for, God’s heart is not for us to chase after riches. His ways for us are easy and restful, and we will not have to sacrifice what’s important to us (e.g. time with our families or time in His house). He will provide for us!
Sector-136, Noida, Uttar Pradesh - 201305